Colloidal Silver Spray for Biotoxin Illness
Silver has been used for hundreds of years to treat infections and prevent the spread of bacteria. The toxicity of silver to human cells is low compared to its toxicity to bacterial cells which makes it especially effective. Until recently, hospitals in the United States put silver eye drops in infants’ eyes to prevent conjunctivitis. It is still used in hospitals in everything from bandages to catheters. Before the development of antibiotics, silver was much more widely used in medical treatments to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Recently silver has made a comeback among some healthcare practitioners who have found it to be effective at treating certain resistant infections of the sinus passages.
Silver has had many uses in healthcare over the centuries to prevent contamination and treat infections from a wide range of microorganisms. Throughout the world, silver is used in medical settings and to distribute safe, potable water. Clothes washed in laundry machines that use silver have significantly decreased bacterial counts. While many types of bacteria have started to become resistant to antibiotics, silver continues to be effective against multiple types of bacteria. One of the reasons silver has been used for so long as an antibacterial is that it has a low toxicity in humans. Recently, healthcare practitioners who treat biotoxin illnesses from mold exposure have found that silver sprayed into the nasal passages can treat chronic sinusitis.
What is Colloidal Silver?
Silver that is used in nasal sprays is referred to as colloidal silver. A colloid refers to a substance dispersed through another substance in a way that it does not settle. A colloidal silver spray will not have silver at the bottom of the bottle if it is not used for a week. The particles in colloidal silver sprays are small and always measured in nanometers. Colloidal silver sprayed into the nasal passages sends small particles of silver into the sinus cavities. On its own, however, silver is often not enough to kill a resistant infection. A chelating agent needs to be used first to destroy the biofilm harboring bacteria.
EDTA with Colloidal Silver
When treating biotoxin illness from mold exposure with colloidal silver, EDTA usually is included as a necessary part of treatment. EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is a chelating agent that destroys the biofilm that harbors bacteria. The biofilm is a layer over the bacteria that protects it and contributes to antibiotic resistance. The combination of EDTA with an antibacterial was described by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, who now recommends colloidal silver spray as part of his well-known biotoxin protocol. The EDTA clears the biofilm and the colloidal silver attacks the bacteria. The combination of EDTA 1% with colloidal silver 25ppm is not available commercially in one nasal spray. This combination can only be obtained from a compounding pharmacy with a prescription from a healthcare practitioner.
Recent research has shown that bacteria killed with silver “soaks up” the silver. The dead bacteria will then kill live bacteria that come near it because the silver is leached out into the environment. Silver may also be able to increase the effectiveness of antibiotics by weakening the bacterial cells. This could be especially useful in cases where bacteria become resistant to antibiotics. The use of silver may be able to reduce the dosage of antibiotics needed to treat an infection. Although it has been used in medicine for a long time, researchers continue to find new and promising applications for silver.
- Antibacterial silver – Metal Based Drugs
- Antimicrobial silver: An unprecedented anion effect – Nature
- Antibacterial Activity and Mechanism of Action of the Silver Ion in Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli – Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- Silver turns bacteria into deadly zombies – Science Magazine